In 1842, through the efforts of the Hazard family, owners of the local textile mill, a company of men formed a bucket brigade to help combat fire, the destroyer of life and property, in the village of Peace Dale, RI. The effort was interrupted by the civil war. In 1867, back from the war, again the villagers banded together, this time with a more sophisticated piece of fire protecting equipment, a 10 inch Hunneman piston pumper. 1867 is the year the Peace Dale Fire Department considers its birthday.
In 1886, the company was granted a charter by the state of Rhode Island and became officially known as the Narragansett Steam Fire Engine Company #1 of Peace Dale. It remains the state's oldest chartered fire company and the oldest volunteer company. It was incorporated into the Union Fire District in 1889 and continues to be an important part of that organization.
In 1917 an old premier touring car was purchased and revamped to carry ladders, hoses, helmets, and boots. It became the first piece of motorized equipment in town and was used to pull the steamer, hose cart, and ladder wagon. The next piece of motorized equipment was a REO 500 gallon pumper, purchased by the Union Fire District.
Since its formation, PDFD, as it is referred by to members, has been housed at three locations. Its first location in 1871 was on Columbia St, where the neighborhood guild now stands. The second location was across the street on Columbia St, and is now the building that houses the schools department maintenance department. The company now makes its home at Station 1, on High Street in a building that was constructed in 1967.
Peace Dale honors two of its members, Deputy Chief William E Gray who died in the line of duty February 14, 1967 and Assistant Foreman Byron Love, who died of injuries while responding to an alarm on April 28, 1968.